Click Houseguest Pic for Profiles / Interviews / Comments
Amy Chiara Danielle Eric Gerry Jason Josh
Lisa Lori Marcellas Roddy Tanya
Watch Big Brother 3 Click the logo and enjoy Big Brother 3 - All Episodes

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Gerry Lancaster









FAVORITES

Three adjectives that best describe me:   Witty, competent, gregarious 

Favorite film:   The Godfather 

Favorite TV show:   CSI 

Favorite actor:   Sean Connery 

Favorite actress:   Jodie Foster 

Favorite band:   U2 

Favorite hobbies:   Square dancing, playing guitar, target shooting, collecting 1950s and 1960s kitsch 

Personal hero:   My grandfather



Q&A

Why did you want to be on BIG BROTHER?
Well, obviously, to win the money, but also it seems like an intriguing challenge, a test of my endurance and will. It will also be a great break from teaching summer school.

What strengths do you bring to BIG BROTHER?
I'm very personable, used to dealing with people and their different issues. Part of my job teaching is often getting students (and adults) to do things they don't want to. I'm very good at getting people to see things my way without them realizing it. I use humor as a tool to put people at ease--a useful tool, not a weapon.

What weaknesses do you bring to BIG BROTHER?
Maybe I'm too trusting of people's motives. I also do not suffer fools lightly, I like to speak my mind and I am opinionated. I'll need to watch being overbearing.

What comfort item from home will you miss the most?
I'll miss my tools and the time I spend fixing things around the house and doing projects with my wife.

What type of news from the outside world will you miss the most?
I'm an avid sports fan and an ardent follower of America's greatest sport, politics.

Do you tend to perform better in physical or mental competitions?
Actually, I'm pretty good at both. I'm very strong, but not flexible, even though I'm pretty agile for a big man. I have the odd capacity to remember lots of facts and trivia, because I'm curious.

How do you plan to win BIG BROTHER? 
I plan to learn all I can about my fellow HouseGuests, both their strengths and weaknesses, and use my personable nature to disarm them. I intend to be, or to remind them of, the father and teacher they always wanted to have. I want them to feel safe with me and to be the last one they'd want to be rid of.

What is your biggest fear as you begin BIG BROTHER?
Being a bad example for students.

What is your motto?
Never play poker with a man named Doc.


PARTING WORDS

What was the most difficult aspect of being on BIG BROTHER?
A couple of things: the complete lack of mental stimulation and the fact that I was at least 20 years older than the next oldest HouseGuest. The generation gap was tough to break through at times.

Did you play the game as you hoped you would, strategy-wise?
Pretty much. I went in there with the expectation that I would be a target early on because of my age. The best thing to do was just to be myself as much as possible. It's ironic that some people were suspicious of that, but that's just who I am, and I'm not going to change that. Early on in the game, I realized that permanent alliances would never work. I tried my best to get along with everybody the whole time I was there; that was my strategy. It actually paid off pretty well, because I lasted a lot longer. 

What personality trait is most important for winning this game? 
Flexibility, being able to sense mood shifts and power shifts. A sense of who you can "trust" more than someone else, and when that changes. That's very difficult to figure out, because despite the proximity, it is easy for people to get off by themselves and hatch plots. 

At one point, Roddy said that this is a game about honesty and decency. How would you respond to that?
In some ways, Roddy and I would like it to be a game about honesty and decency, or game-play like a chess match, but it's not. It's all about deceit and duplicity and backstabbing and false friends. Moves I made in the game were like chess moves, and I had hoped the game would be played that way. Had it been, I probably could have won. Because it's not, I'm talking to you right now! 

Knowing what you know now, what would you have done differently?
The first night, I would not have been so eager to jump into the immediate plot to get rid of Marcellas. I probably would have been a little more circumspect; I was a little too eager. That's what I was angry with myself about. That was the demon I talked about when I exercised the Veto. I was angry with myself for being so desperate to be included in an alliance that I was willing to sacrifice my principles, and I didn't want to do that. 

Which of the alliances is strongest, and why?
Based on what I know, the strongest alliance is Marcellas and Amy. At this point, an alliance of two is awfully strong, and because Marcellas is Head of Household right now, he can do some major damage. I would suspect that he would go after Roddy and Lisa. He told me he didn't harbor any resentment against that cartel, but they're the last two left. All the rest of us are gone. I'm personally hopeful that Jason hangs in there. He's the only other person in the House with a shred of integrity. 

Which HouseGuest was the greatest threat to you, and why?
My conversion from the cartel started about a day and a half into the game, when I could see Josh going around talking to everybody. The lack of subtlety really did him in. Had he been more subtle, he might have pulled it off. I didn't find him as convincing a liar as other people seemed to be. And I though Eric was a threat to me. He's a great guy, but in terms of strategy, that's why I put him out. In a House like that, there's not enough room for alpha male types. Now, there probably should be, because if Roddy ends up going, there is no person that I would call a typical alpha male. 

What was your favorite moment in the BIG BROTHER House?
Marcellas choking back the chicken liver. That was a magnificent display of willpower. Sheryl Crow was a big moment, because I'm a big fan. The fact that she obviously is a fan of the show & knew who I was is really cool. 

Who would you like to see win, and why?
For the longest time, I wanted to see Danielle win, because she puts out the case about needing the money. But I'm not so sure now, because there's a little bit too much desperation about it. In terms of the most personal integrity, I'd like to see Jason win. 

Who do you think will win?
Danielle. But I wouldn't rule out Marcellas and Amy, at least getting to the final two. It's hard to predict. 

What advice would you give to future BIG BROTHER HouseGuests?
Memorize a lot of stuff: knowledge to bring with you into the House, things to entertain yourself and others. Mental preparation is more important than physical preparation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment